As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

27 October 2008

Hair.

We all have it, somewhere, in one form or another upon our person. How much varies greatly from person to person. Some seem to have too much for their own good, and some seem quite lacking. Most of us have just enough. It obviously has a purpose, or we wouldn't have it: to keep us warm. Or in the case of our eyes, the hair surrounding is a protective barrier to unwanted dust and dirt.

So, male and female, we all have hair. Who decided that women aren't allowed to have it on their legs, or under their arms? It almost seems that hair on a man's legs and under arms is a sign of masculinity. When you see a man with nice smooth legs, you have to wonder why he bothered shaving, and what is really going on in his head. It is the fate for many men to lose hair on top of their heads, yet when this happens we consider him to be unfortunate. As it is not a normal female trait to grow lengths of hair on her face, there's no discrimination there. Except maybe for those times when a woman does grow a slight beard, we've taken it as a society to consider it "ugly".

The only explanation I can think of for any of these points is that hair loss on a man's head is a sign of aging, which oddly, is a negative thing. On that point, why do we judge others on things they can't help? I'm sorry, but we all grow old at some point.

Now, I'm not enough of a feminist to grow the hair on my legs and under my arms to forest like lengths. I have been sufficiently inundated by society that I share the views I have presented. But seriously, there has to be a reason for this somewhere.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Thankyou for posting this... it gave me hope...*sniff*... oh, and by the way, the "expectations" for hair on women disappear as you go to Europe.

Sara Jennings said...

I love that you have a blog about hair on here! It made me smile! And I am happy that I can be your blogging buddy now! Even though you do not think that I am cool enough for you... :( hahahaha! Love you!

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.