As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

03 October 2008

A BFF

Actually, I hate this acronym. It sounds so...."Like totally, we're soo bff's forever!" A friendship to me is much more sacred to be said with a phrase so lightly. But that is beside the point of this post. There is a free section of iTunes that sometimes offers decent music and videos. This week they are featuring an episode of "My New BFF" hosted by Paris Hilton. After watching the short introduction, I was appaled. This is just a step under "The Bachelor" though seemingly on a different level all together. What sincerity is there when someone signs up to be televised to find a friend?

This show hosted by Paris Hilton begins with her list of what a perfect best friend would be to her. She chose a number of contestants and put them through a series of challenges to see who would live up to her expectations. Is not a friend borne out of experience, similar tastes being secondary? From my personal experience, my closest friends have been unexpected. People who when I first met seemed to be as opposite to me as a sunrise is to a sunset. Yet those who endure trials with you, who play with you when your spirits are highest, who will listen and talk whenever you need them to. Are Paris' friends as disposable to her as a purse or shoes?

"If my life is of no value to my friends it is of no value to myself." - Joseph Smith, Jr. Have we as Americans, become so singularly independent we believe we must walk through life on our own? A BFF, Best Friend Forever. What irony to host a reality, searching for that dear relationship. Forever until the critera are broken by human frailty? Those closest to you, do they not see you at your lowest, worst and most shameful? And yet they continue in their support, love and loyalty. Next to agency, the Atonement, I would list friendship as the next greatest gift from our Heavenly Father. A friend encompasses all that is wonderful and sacred. Could you imagine a life as Miss Paris; She yearns as any human for a true and devoted friend, yet is so utterly deprived? Wealth cannot replace the eternal bonds of friendship.

No comments:

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.