As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

16 October 2008

From a Man to a Woman

A group of eight girls were chatting on the sidewalk just outside a movie theatre. They were talking about the movie they had just seen, when someone was heard approaching. The footsteps ceased, and a male voice rose from behind "Holy, hot group of girls!" Only one girl responded in a "thanks", but the rest ignored him. Including me. No, I am not "hot". No, I am not a "babe". I am not a random piece of scenery to be commented on.
-juxtaposed with-
In 8th Grade, a friend and I were walking into school when a boy opened the door for us. She and I talked about it for weeks, and we still remember it - seven years later.

There are men who uphold their Priesthood and treat women like royalty. Those who go out of their way to give their coats, open doors, compliment on what a girl is wearing, who extend a hand of warmth, who volunteer to pay for the meal, who drive. My favorite is when the boy demands the girl remains seated until the car door is opened for them.

My gratitude goes to those who treat women in such a way that makes them feel loved. To the gentlemen who are constant in their chivalry, may you never stop. Girls notice, and love it. It is hard to know how to express gratitude, because a "thank you" each time just doesn't seem sufficient. I hope this declaration to the world is promulgation enough to those men who today are my heroes.

*Yes, there are the women who want to be treated as "equals" and think it an insult to their independence to have a door opened for them. To men I say, treat those women as they ask, but know the rest of us still love it!

2 comments:

ww said...

I agree that showing respect for women is good. I would just hope that all those guys out there who are opening doors are not just going through the motions but are also showing respect to women in other areas of their lives, by, for example, not abusing them, listening to them, etc. If they are opening the door for me out of some old-fashioned attitude that I'm weak and need their help, I'd rather not. And personally I don't find it completely awful if I show a guy respect by opening the door for him.

red said...

Opening doors for guys and girls - absolutely.

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.