As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

15 October 2008

How am I supposed to know?!

Have you ever had someone ask you a question when they find out you have some knowledge in one area, and expect you to know everything ever created that is related to that subject? For example, one of the most common questions people ask when they find out I am learning Ancient Greek is "What is the relation between Ancient and Modern Greek." Yes, truthfully I used logic and made up an answer. After some research I discovered that my answer of "It's comparable as Old English to American English" is correct. But in the beginning I had no clue! Working in the Film Department at the University, I have been getting calls lately asking questions that, yes folks, I have made up answers to. Before you are horrified, again I used my best logic and sense to guide them to the best of my ability. The first question was "What is it like to get into the Film industry? What does it take to make a movie?" Granted there may be other people in the department who can answer more fully, but I told them that the industry is difficult, and if you don't want to work for an established business, you have to operate and get an audience on your own. I have some experience with this, having pursued the film making to a small degree, and talked to professionals, so that one I feel more confident in answering. Another fellow called in and asked about an actress that he apparently is distantly related to and was looking for contact information. He wasn't happy when I told him we don't have that sort of information, then he asked for my supervisor, or someone else who would have that information. Seriously though, even if we DID have that information, would I just give some girl's address to a man on the phone?

Does this information reflect negatively on my character? The people in this department are incredibly busy with their students and keeping the organization in one piece, and seriously, should I bother them with these questions? What in the world should I do otherwise?

Addition: Someone called and asked for the address for Body World, that happens to be located downtown, and has nothing to do with the University, or Film Studies.

1 comment:

ww said...

It seems that you assume that you must somehow provide an answer to questions that you don't have answers to. But it doesn't seem that providing addresses of random actresses is in your job description, nor of any other person in the department. A polite brush-off or referral to another service should be fine. No need to make stuff up. Or there's always, "I'll have to check on that and get back to you."

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.