As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

06 October 2008

Multi-Lingual

It's been about two and a half years since I have been in a French class. Granted, I did study the language for 6 years, at the end of those years I was disappointed with my rather *insert fancy word that means small* size of knowledge. I met a friend later that year who was an avid French learner who I could carry on a reasonable conversation with. As her knowledge increased though, my memory seemed to decrease. It has come to a point where I considered my French skills to be "un peu." Moving on to the Ancient Greek language, the curse returned. As I said, for six years I studied the language, but was entirely sick of the study because of my slow rate of progress. My brain was not to be fooled. Greek switched on the "foreign language light" and I began to compose Frangreek sentences in my head. Such as C'est καλος (kalos) - It's beautiful. Greek history studies have led me to dive into the evolution of the Greek language as it developed from Linear A to the Classical Greek used in the more recent ancient world, aka the turn of the millennium, 0 AD. I made a Google search which brought up a French resource. Assuming I would have no idea what it said, I clicked on the link out of mere curiosity. Apparently, once the "foreign language switch" is on, it stays on. I wonder if my history professor would mind if I used a French citation for my research...

1 comment:

ww said...

I totally know what you are talking about. I think it's quite common to mix foreign languages at first. The same thing happened to me when I first started studying German after studying Spanish, even though I had studied German previously. The good news is, it wore off quite a bit. Don't get frustrated! Language learning is its own reward!

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.