As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

18 April 2008

"Well Hello!!"

In front of the baptistry's doors at the Salt Lake Temple, some construction is taking place. There are fences around it, so baptistery patrons have to go through the main entrance of the temple. It's a bit of a walk down the long hallways, but I'm not complaining. The place is beautiful. This morning, at about 7:30am, I rounded a corner, and someone tall said "Good Morning" with a smile on his face. My heart leapt before my brain processed who was addressing us. Only two words from one man, but the impression he leaves is astounding. It's all true, what they say about him. Big shoulders, tall, and very friendly. The words to properly describe the meeting is almost literally "ran into him." It was a near collision. Though the meeting was less than 3 seconds long, and my return greeting was probably more along the lines of a slurred "good morning" (it was 7am after all) the presence of an apostle of the Lord is something intangible, indescribable, and yet profoundly influential. Elder Perry I am sure is just a regular man, but the mantle which has been laid upon him is one that the Lord only entrusts to a few. He's not the man he is because he is an apostle. He an apostle because of the man he has grown to be.

2 comments:

Jim said...

I had something similar happen to me with Elder Holland. He asked me how I was doing.
"good" said dumb little Jim,
"You look good." Amazing.

Laverna said...

I'm sure they get used to the "Apostle Aura" that accompanies encounters with people as self-assured as we seem to be.
When I was working at the Roof, it was fun to see General Authorities come in and tell people about it.
I like Elder Perry -- he was one of the people I saw while working there. I didn't talk to him, but I did smile at him while I was cleaning up around the dessert buffet.
How's that for keeping my wits about me? :D
When I told my Grandma C. about the "encounter" she laughed and said that I had good taste in the men I smiled at.

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.