As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

11 August 2008

EFY - From the View of A Learning Counselor. Day 1.

Anticipation was quite an odd feeling. Some of it was regret for getting myself into it, remembering the work and energy required. Some of it was fear that I wouldn't be able to handle my girls. Some of it was nervousness for a new situation. Excitement for living a week immersed in the gospel was there as well. In the end it just became a desire to be what the Lord needs me to be for my 10 special girls.

My sign was up, and the girls with "20" on their cards came. They came quietly, and almost with a look of "YOU're my counselor?!" We headed to our designated group spot for the week, and we proceeded to do the whole "get to know you" things. I'm not such a fan of the games where you find out what their favorite color is, or where they live. Who remembers that anyway? *Erin raising her hand* They weren't incredibly enthusiastic, well, more shy than anything. I repeatedly apologized for having a hard time remembering their names (working on it!) and I think they're ok about it. I should have them down tomorrow. They loosened up as we played some games and chilled. We went to meet the rest of the company (the other two groups, another female and a male group) that make up "Set on a Hill." Matt. 5:14. At that point, they still had looks on their faces of "who is this person?" The day progressed and we came to Orientation. The counselors have a special dance every year. This year's song is "Let's Get Loud." I may be able to do some things, but not dance. Freestyle/look like a dork - That's my kinda moves. My co-counselor Chris was kind enough to take me under his tutalidge. He happened to be one of the best dancers there, and was a patient teacher. Did I have all the moves down by the time we finished practicing? Heck. No. My past considered, I was alright. The BC's (the counselor's counselors) placed partners around the gym for the performance. Ha. Ha. Guess where they put us? Front and center, right on stage. My first thought was "maybe I'm doing alright." Ha. Then I remembered who my partner was. "Oh yeah. It's because HE's good. Greeeaaat." I moaned a bit about it, but really I knew there was nothing I could do. On stage we ran, jumped up on stage, and off we went. Yes, I forgot half the steps. *sigh* 'Tis the life of one who considerably lacks coordination. Later, as we walked out to lunch, I 'apologized' to one of my girls for my lack of dance skills. She just smiled, but a boy beside her said "Well, at least you tried." Indeed. Indeed...

Rewinding to the beginning of orientation, I sat next to a pleasent fellow in my company. We discussed his various tastes. One of them is ballroom dancing. Each time he wanted to ask something he began by saying "Question..." and I would say "Yes?" After we talked about different types of dancing and how ballroom is the best kind he said "Question..." "Yes?" "Are youth allowed to dance with counselors?" then looked at me shyly. *smile* Oh, the sweetness of young men. I'll let you know what happens at the dance tomorrow.

The rest of the day went pretty well. The youth gave some fantastic insights after the FHE games (examples to follow on a later date) and my girls became more united. I have used up all my energy for the day at this point. Time for bed for this one pooped counselor!

2 comments:

ww said...

I am on the edge of my seat to find out what happens with that boy! Just how old is he, anyway?

Laverna said...

Oh, sweet!
It's things like that that just warm the cockles of your heart.
I went up to my school on Friday and, among other things, talked with my principal. He found out that I was moving on Saturday and offered to help me move. "I have a big cargo trailer if you need it."
Bless his heart.
Even after I told him that we had a big truck lined up, he insisted that I call him if we needed any more space.
I don't doubt that he would hesitate a moment to make the drive down to help a teacher he has only met twice.
Isn't that sweet?

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.