As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

30 May 2010

Vision

Glasses are quite incredible things. Glasses for vision correction, to be clear. It is impossible for someone to tell whether they need a correction on their own. For the eyes they were born with are all they know to see. How are they to know the world has distinct shape and line if nothing they do with their own eyes like squinting or staring will change the way something looks. It isn't until they start running into objects they cannot tell are in the way, for the extreme examples, or cannot see something written far away they need to read like a teachers white board, or a street sign. Sometimes the need for a vision correction is obvious, but for others, they don't even know the difference. This is how it was for me. I knew I was able to read the white boards, read street signs fairly well and was able to pick out people at a distance. It wasn't until after hours of studying my head would hurt and the world around me was a little more fuzzy. Daily eye aches sent me to an ophthalmologist. During the testing I was to shut one eye and read the letters on the wall. I had always told my vision was 20/20. But after I shut the one eye my vision went to pot. Both of my eyes together worked decently, but alone they were horrible. A few weeks went by and I decided to look for frames and scout prices. At one establishment, the proprietor was kind enough to find some lenses that would show me exactly what I would be seeing differently. He told me to look out the window, then set them on my face. I almost jumped. I was able to read the sign just fine, but instantly the lines were defined and crisp.


If you have read this far you may have guessed my point. I thought my sight was fine and dandy until someone else showed me how much better it could be. This is the way of Christ. We are born into this world with our own natural inclinations, thought processes and experiences that shape our actions and reactions. There is no possible way we could know how to be any different, unless someone gives us a new and clearer way to see. As I hesitated on the real need of glasses at first, many of us may question whether we really need the help because what we are seeing at the moment is good enough and gets us by. But no amount of squinting on our own is going to improve our vision of our own actions. We must be given the better way. The clearer way.

No comments:

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.