As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

13 May 2009

Lion House Banquet Serving, Day One.

White collared shirt, black mid-calf straight sits on the natural waist skirt, black nylons, black old-lady shoes, flowered apron. Ta da! I'm ready for work. Parking was not near as difficult as expected, the people were nice, really rather uneventful unless you find folding red napkins into triangles thrilling. My trainer, did his job well (except forgetting to tell me to follow him into the room when we serve). I only dropped two forks while clearing places, missed the plate once when serving a roll, and got butter on my fingers. I was lucky enough to get the meal we served, complete with roll and dessert (ice cream crepes). We took the garbage out (over to the JSMB) and were locked out when we returned. There was a sliding door with a lock on the inside that after some fiddling (it was unlocked, but hooked over two loops) we opened the door. After work, we discovered that my time card didn't register my clocked hours. Oh good. A friend there, and I, talked for quit awhile, until 12:30am actually. I got out of his car, and he tried to leave...but the car didn't start. Again. And again. I pulled out my jumper cables, never having done this before I tried to follow the instructions. This friend had no idea, so he wandered over to some maintenence guys who did it for us, sparking the battery when he tried to put the positive cable on the negative side. (I could have done that). The car started just fine, and off we went. It wasn't nearly as intimidating as I expected, and was quite enjoyable for a nights work.

1 comment:

Laverna said...

You know, I really enjoyed working at the JSMB. Stressful though it may be at times and uniforms that are far from flattering, I had a great time. My job was a little different than yours, but nonetheless.
I love the challenge of teaching and seeing kids 'get it', and I love the challenge of making people happy and satisfied with their food almost as much. I probably would go to culinary school for my mid-life crisis.
Either that or have a HUGE family so I can cook lots for them. Besides, I'll miss having 100+ kids hanging around.

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.