As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

16 May 2009

Expense of Being an Adventerous Cook

Referenced from a friend, I decided to attempt to make Chocolate Chipotle Cake. It calls for dried chipotles, something that the average American household doesn't keep on hand regularly (if ever). Since I live in such an average American household that a. doesn't know what chipotles look like and b. where in the world one finds them, much less where they are in a store, I ventured to a nearby Mexican market (about 33rd and State). Most people in there, as far I could hear, spoke Spanish, and only Spanish. I, do not. I ventured into the fresh produce section, imagining chipotles to come like a green pepper. At least I could read the signs, but I didn't see any labeled "chipotle". I asked a worker, who apparently didn't speak English (at least we had something in common - not being able to speak the respective language), but understood "chipotle". He pointed me to a stack of cans. I asked "Does it come fresh?" and he looked to a guy next to him who translated, and he shook his head. 'Alrighty then, I guess that will work.' I thought. It started to occur to me how funny I must look. I am just about as pale as a healthy, normal human can be, accompainied with red hair and frekles. I was surrounded by darker skined, brown and black haired people. SORE THUMB I think. And I probably wasn't imagining the funny looks from most people I passed. I circled the rest of the store looking for some rice flour that I also needed, but didn't see it, or dried chipotles. I texted a friend who had experience with the cake, but didn't hear anything back. I purchased 2 cans, and walked out the door. No joke, as soon as I left the buiding, I got a text back saying that canned wouldn't work since they were drowned in a sauce. Dang it! I contemplated what to do, and decided to just fly with the canned. Side note: There was a pick up truck with signs posted on it "I love President Monson (picture of the same's face). My wife died 2 1/2 years ago. Please help!" That's one way to advertise I guess. On the way home, I noticed a Guatemalen market and decided to venture in. I walked around the small (very very small) shop and only saw the canned. Again, I had the "sore thumb" feeling here, quite like I'd ever had before. Who would think I asked the lady at the counter, who spoke perfect English "If we have them, they'd be over there in the corner." There were many plastic bags of dried peppers and spices, and lo and behold, chipotles! Of course, I bought them.

I still needed some rice flour for my gluten intolerate brother, so I went back to the basic American supermarket. I found a rack of the same packaged mexican dried things, but was relieved to see I didn't waste my time as they didn't have chiptoles. The rice flour was equally evasive, found hiding in a tiny section of the organic foods. I got home and realized I had forgotten the bittersweet chocolate. Sheesh. Later that night after work, in my lovely black skirt, white collared shirt and flowered apron, I went into another American market to find the chocolate bars. The recipe calls for 56% cocoa. That's not specific at all... The selection was a 60% bar, and after further inspection, a 53% bar. I went with the 53%.

I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to use in place of the ramekins. (I'm not going to go but new ones.) And I hope this all turns out well. And if you find a recipe that calls for canned chipotles, I have a few cans I need to use up.

No comments:

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.