As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

22 January 2009

Land of the Free

Today, the front page of The New York Times displayed articles on, you guessed it, President Obama. Truthfully, I did not vote for him. Also, truthfully I was not an incredibly informed voter in November 2008. When the decision was made, I came to the conclusion that since he is to be my president, I will support him as I support my beloved country.

The articles featured on the front page of the Times are as follows: "Obama to Close Foreign Prisons and Guantanamo", "On First Day, Obama Quickly Sets a New Tone", and less significant yet no less present "I Really Do Swear, Faithfully: Obama and Roberts Try Again".

The hype behind the new president has been "CHANGE". But as I remember learning throughout my American History education, is that the founding fathers of the United States of America sought to limit the powers of the president. American people have set a lot of stock in the power of the supreme ruler, who was originally set in place with Congress and the Senate, all having their distinct roles and obligations. How many of us can name all of our state representatives that act in those bodies of government? I am ashamed, yet honest in saying that I cannot. What has shocked me so much already in Obama's first day is this "New Tone." Quoting from this article "President Obama moved swiftly on Wednesday to impose new rules on government transparency and ethics, using his first full day in office to freeze the salaries of his senior aides, mandate new limits on lobbyists and demand that the government disclose more information." Further reading reveals that these were intelligent decisions. I encourage you to read the article and see for yourself. As one who counts herself as a run-of-the-mill American citizen, my knowledge of deep politics is virtually non-existant. But I do understand the basics of human life, and proper legislation: When government goes too far or not far enough.

With all these changes, what has made us so trusting of this one man? There is of course nothing that can properly prepare anyone for the rule of a country. Knowledge and wisdom comes purely through experience and trial. What kind of power is being given to this man? As I recall from other history lessons, that civilizations go through phases. First they will be governed by a good king, but unfortunately his decedents begin to rule unjustly. Eventually the nation revolts and overthrows the kingdom. Set in place is a large body of rulers, the type varying from society to society. Eventually corruption spreads through the body and infuriates the public once again. A single leader will emerge and promise change and prosperity for all. The body of rulers is overthrown and the dictator takes the sole seat of reign.

I am by no means implying that President Obama is this dictator taking rule of the country. But is this the road we, America, heading down? Corruption within our government is not even a theory up to discussion. Unrest among the people is obvious. What's next?

As life returns to more or less the "normal", as our new President becomes less of a novelty, I am agog for the future, and pray for the Lord to guide this man and all the other men and women who lead our country.

1 comment:

. . . said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.