As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

13 July 2008

Fear

Fear: A loathsome, exceedingly frustrating emotion when facing an event that would other wise be a)harmless, b) pleasant, or c)beneficial. Indeed, fear can be a feeling of respect or reverence, but only when it is in respect to the Divine is it appropriate. In any other circumstance it is something to be disregarded to the point of extermination.

For example:
In my personal opinion, climbing and descending rocks is an enjoyable activity. It's a challenge, yet not too difficult for a beginner (with sufficient help and guidance). Rappelling with your back to the ground is the most common way of descent. Facing the ground and walking perpendicular to the cliff face is called "aussie." The first way, was at first a little nerve-racking, but then became fun to the point I forgot fear. But, for the life of me, I could not descend facing down. Backwards was simple, yet still a thrill. I had seen others do it, even do it quickly. I wanted to do it. As proof from the photo, I was in position to walk down, staring at the ground. My foot slipped and that same leg began to shake. Nothing could get me to move downwards, not all the encouragement or cheering from friends. I retreated, but not without disapointment. Fear had gripped my mind so tightly I was unable to relax or do anything but focus on fear itself. Within all reason, I felt secure, and there was even desire to go.

So, fear is irrational. It prevents us from doing things we would do under normal circumstances. Fear inhibits our opportunities and does more harm to us than good. What do we have to fear, with the Lord of the Universe behind us? As long as we do all in our power to do what is right, safe and healthy, we have nothing to fear. For even in death of mortality, our life continues in immortality. Conquer that which you fear, and do that which is right, then become who you want to be.

3 comments:

Laverna said...

You would think that seeing where you're going would make it easier than with your face to the rock face, but it isn't.
Fear is an interesting phenomenon. There seems to be very little logic as to when or how it will strike. I have a cousin whose child was deathly afraid of puppets. No one really could figure out why. It seems to have abated, now.
I am not particularly bothered by heights, but I have a really hard time jumping off a diving board. I've gotten better with the regular ones, but I rarely am able to psyche myself up to jump off the high dive.

triciab said...

This is a wonderful post! I did something last night that I was a little scared of but it paid off! It wasn't anything really scary, but I was afraid of it anyway.

I think it's okay to feel a little fear; it's natural. But when it becomes debilitating and stops you from moving forward, that is when it becomes a problem. Sometimes we have to take risks. It was a huge risk for me moving here and I really was scared. But deep down I knew it was right so I managed to get my faith to overcome my fear!

While I was making the decision, I read the book "Feel the Fear and do it Anyway" a few years ago. Enlightening.

red said...

I'm going to check out that book Trish. Thanks!

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.