As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

24 March 2008

A new discovery.

What exactly is the point of a library? You would think this is an insane proposition. You would probably say: "To hold books." But per my adventures this afternoon, my observations told me a whole new story.

First use: A construction site. A few weeks ago a friend of mine observed that the University of Utah should have a new mascot. The crane. The only way inside the Marriott Library is the West doors. My entire experience here at the U has consisted of half a library. Thankfully, it appears that work is being completed, but some parts of the library are uninhabitable due to the constant banging.

Second use: A fashion show. Oh wait. That goes for all of campus. Here comes Spring and the new summer fashions...all I have to say is, watch out.

Third use: Nap-time. Ten feet into the library and guaranteed you will find a dosing student. Whether it be a book they rest on, or a chair. Sometimes there are 3 or 4 sleeping people within eye-sight.

Fourth use: An exercise routine. The Marriott Library is huge. Hundreds of shelves hold thousands of books. Forget your run of the mill Dewey Decimal system. This place adds a whole new level of organization! The government papers have an entire section to themselves (good riddance I say, keep the boring stuff out of the way.) Particularly, I was searching for books on Latin and Greek today. Somehow, even though I used the Quick Search, I ended up in the religion section. There were books in other languages, but that wasn't helpful. The language books are located a floor above and on the other side. I found the Greek books there looked around, then headed to where I was told books in Latin were. I ended up back in the religion section. Lugging my backpack back the other way, I found the Latin books 3 shelves away from the Greek. 4 trips us and down the stairs, and about 4 trips back and forth across the floors. With a backpack, who needs a treadmill and weights?


You never know what else a library will do for you. A place to check email, play online games, read Roald Dahl...or simply get lost and never return to civilization. Check out your local library and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!

2 comments:

ww said...

Hee hee! You were on a roll today! Brilliant!

Laverna said...

I never really used the Marriot Library until this semester. Everything I needed was always at the Music Building Library, excepting one Music History research project.
I have to say that I'm spending a lot more time there than before. I love research projects.
Seriously though, I have always loved libraries. Books! Mountains of books! Cascades of books! Books on every subject! More books than you could ever read in a lifetime!
(name that movie!)

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.