As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

11 March 2008

Gratitude

Driving home, I drove past a runner on the sidewalk. She was dressed the part, and looked as if she was enjoying herself. She was not the first I had seen that day. As the weather has turned from dismal to beautiful, people have begun to pick up their exercise routines. Even my Solar Systems professor was dressed in biking gear.
As I was observing one particular girl on the corner waiting for the chance to run across the street and taking the opportunity to stretch, shifted in my seat and was reminded of the tape that was placed on my back this morning. My physical therapist has taught me many useful things over the past few months that have been useful in relieving pain. Stretches, use of an exercise ball, taking time out to relax during the day; all useful techniques. Sadly, it has not been enough to make a lasting difference. Today, she suggested a short massage and then applied tape to my back. It provides some extra support to the muscles that struggle to hold together my abnormally straight back.




A thought came to mind while watching the runner. How blessed she is to be able to run. I sit here in the car, with tape on my back just to help support my weak strained muscles from only existing.
I write this only as my experience. Sincerely, I would not have it any other way. We each have our own struggles, downfalls, weaknesses and pain. While I move in my seat to find a comfortable place for my arms, another may be unable to move without causing pain. Another may drive with their feet because of their lack of arms at all!
As hard, and as sad as some ailments may be, I would not wish to remove any of it. We have all had our share of grief in one way or another. Some less, some more than seems necessary or even fair. Incredible consequences come from enduring pain. Speaking only for myself, as I am unable to speak for any others, I am more the person I want to be BECAUSE of pain. Not just in spite, but as a result.
We are here to become the best we can be. We CANNOT become that best without hardship. When your life is over you will have the opportunity to reflect. What will you see? Opportunity? Love? Growth? A better life than you could have planned for yourself?

1 comment:

Laverna said...

I might complain when I have a lot of homework or studying to do, but I stop pretty quickly when I realize that I have nothing compared to Dan. Hmm. You have inspired a post.

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.