As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

03 March 2009

Ten Good Reasons Why a French Man Should Not Teach French.

A friend of mine found this list that I wrote for her way back in Junior High, probably in 2002 or 2003. There's a story behind each one of them of course. Our French language teacher, Mr. Baigue was....well, just read.

Ten Good Reasons Why a French Man Should Not Teach French:
10. They bring smelly cheese to class
9. They are obsessed with french food (such as wine)
8. They tell the class the most gruesome details about snail hunting (after the class has just eaten lunch)
7. They think that there is no difference between French and American punishment
6. They won't let you speak English
5. They think that they are your parents and they get to baptize you under a new french name.
4. They enjoy topless women!
3. They want to make money off the rich kids in class by taking them to France.
2. They think Americans are stupid.
1. They are just plain stuck up.

Of course, I lacked tact and wit, but I was 100% honest.

6 comments:

ww said...

Honestly, all the French people I know are so nice. I have never met one of these so-called rude French people. I hear that Parisians are kind of frustrated with Americans but people from other parts of France are super nice. Maybe your teacher was just a fluke?

ww said...

And re:5 -- I think the whole practice of re-naming people in language classes is an interesting one. Feel free to have a linguistic-y discussion with me about this sometime.

Anonymous said...

I remember thinking that this french teacher was weird.... but maybe if we ever ran into him, (being older and wiser :D ) he might really be a nice french person.

Jim said...

This is why everyone should learn German!

Whitney Denney said...

In French class in sophomore year of high school we had a cheese tasting day. I took a very large bite of a very strong blue cheese. My eyes watered. I had to leave the room. But that didn't put me off of the language...just off of large bites of strange cheese.

Laverna said...

I like some strong cheeses . . . but I can't bring myself to eat the ones that smell like moldy socks.

I remember Mr. Baigue coming to my elementary to encourage all of us to sign up for french in jr. high. He started babbling about something (apparently it was supposed to be easy to figure out what he was talking about) that totally lost me, and then he started zipping and un-zipping his pants. That sold me on taking spanish.

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.