As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

31 January 2011

First Date.

By another request, here is the story of the first date.

It depends on what you count as the first date. Technically, we have three different "first dates." The very first was in the spring of 2008. We met in Institute choir in January. It was a very small group of around 10 singers, so we went around introducing ourselves. Jim began by telling us a story about how he realized that he felt weak every time he walked passed his bedroom closet, and discovered a small piece of kryptonite hiding there. I remember wanting to ask him out, or be asked out by him in the first few weeks, but he procured a different girlfriend. I was disappointed, but more or less undeterred. He was telling people about a project you could do for a Professor who would then give you free movie tickets, and I asked him for the information so I could get his email address and chat with him. We became friends rather quickly. I told him about a gelatto shop he should take his girlfriend to, but as this other relationship was not working out, he asked me if I would show him where it was. Thus, we set up a date. Since he lived in Boony-ville, we went during lunch time. The date was....

SUPER AWKWARD!!!!!!

I don't really know what it was, but we both felt incredibly awkward sitting there eating gelatto. It was fantastic gelatto, but for some reason conversation just wasn't on the same page that day. This didn't stop him from asking twice more before I tried to set him up with a friend who lived in Provo.

The "second first date" was two years after that. We had both been through relationships that ended poorly and unexpectedly. We supported each other through everything. The relationship had grown to a point where we trusted each other explicitly, and the only thing that kept us from being a couple was the romance. We had made it clear to each other that we were "not interested." I decided in March/April 2010 that this was dumb. So, I mentioned interest to Jim, who then asked me out. We went to La Caille for appetizers and desserts. My fears and insecurities got the better of me, and after two more dates I bailed. He told me that if I ever wanted to attempt again, I would need to be more sure.

A few more months went by and.....I became more sure. Poor guy. Again we went out to Red Mango and took a walk around Sugarhouse Park. It was our plan to just discuss what had happened and if I had ruined my chances. He told me no, but he was planning to keep an open mind about other females.

....

He kissed me later that evening. \o/

3 comments:

Muffy said...

Ah, the memories! I do remember you trying to set me up. :P

Eliza said...

Hooray! Erin, it's a good thing you're marrying that boy, cause he went through a lot to catch your heart... ;)
...

I love you guys.

Whitney Denney said...

I remember all that too. You guys are totally insane. That's why it works.

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.