As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

16 February 2009

A Job

Last Friday my boss called me and said "[Chairman] approached me today and mentioned the need to discuss cutting back on work-study hours." I had already talked to my boss about cutting two hours from my work week so I would have the time to study after Greek. I told her that cut would put me at 10 hours a week. She said she would talk to Chairman and get back to me, but wanted to let me know in case I needed to start looking somewhere else. I thanked her for letting me know and we hung up. Thoughts went racing through my brain. Where would I find a new job? I was worn out as it was working simply 12 hours a week. I could always go back to Shivers. Could I get away with no job? I could just take the bus, and never buy anything; That wouldn't be so bad, good thing I live at home. Because most of my paycheck comes from the government, I thought my job was secure through the budget cuts. Apparently not.

A few hours later, I was with a friend and we were trying to decide whether to see a movie that night. Spending a dollar seemed like so much, what if I didn't have a job next week? My last paycheck would be about $100. The phone rang and I hastily picked it up. My boss. Afraid of what she was going to say, I answered. "I talked to [Chairman] and he agreed with the 10 hours a week, and that it is nice to have you in the office while I'm in class. There are other work-studies that he is going to assess, but he is happy with your hours." A monster of relief suddenly swallowed my body.

I have a job, and I am incredibly grateful.

1 comment:

Laverna said...

Our principal has reminded us of that when he announced the likelihood that we'd be getting a cut in pay next year. No one is happy to year that they'll be getting less money than before, but less money is better than no money.

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.