As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

18 November 2008

It's your choice.

When I walked into my Greek class this morning, several students were discussing a solution to the marriage and civil union law debate. Their solution is to grant all people a civil union, homo and hetero-sexual couples. Then, it would be up to each individual church to either preserve their sanctity of marriage or not. This, they believe, is the best way to appease the masses. What is the difference, I asked of one student. He said the title. I repeat, the title. Then what is the point?

Our professor walked in, and another student asked her what the Greeks thought about it. The basic history is this. Marriage for the Greeks was a responsibility. Man and woman were joined to bear children. Male homosexual relations outside of union were prized as a brotherhood unity. As for females, less history is recorded, but we have some clues that women also participated in homosexual relations. There were guidelines to specifically who you were allowed to associate with. Their homosexual relations seem to be their source of romantic love, as marriage and child-bearing was a responsibility. As the discussion progressed, the topic is what is "natural" came into play. Other cultures outside the Christian world all have different values, so what is to really say is natural? the professor pointed out. We all have our different values.

Either way you are destroying a holy and sacred relationship. No matter how you look at the situation, there is a problem. We could dive into long discussions of psychological effects on children who are raised by a gay couple. Even then, it's not even touching what it is like for a child to be raised by a single-parent. And what is natural? Happiness. That is the basis for all human actions, because that is what we all desire most. No matter where you go, in all cultures, circumstances and belief systems, all people are looking for a way to be happy, now and later. Some will argue, who else can tell me what will make me happy but me? Who can show me the way to be truly happy, every moment of my life from now through forever? Most will say this is impossible. It is not. Lasting happiness is rare and hard to find. Something of such great worth should be difficult to obtain, should it not? Today's American society would say "I have the right to be happy because I am a human being." Yes, you do have that right. But you have to work for it, then it will be yours. The chance readily awaits. No matter what, the best things must be worked for.

In the end, all the debate comes down to two opponents. Between God and Satan. I'm not pointing fingers, and condemning any individual. In fact, I will be the first to raise my hand and say I am full of major flaws. What I present here is your choice. There's only one right way, and millions of ways to go wrong.

No comments:

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.