As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

10 September 2008

It's all Greek to me!

Well, yes it is. The only difference is that I can read it! And yes, I have already heard this phrase said to me at least 4 times since I started Ancient Greek two weeks ago. The professor warned us of this happening and, sure enough... But on to the positive side:

Hard to believe it's only been two weeks, except for the fact my knowledge of the language remains minuscule in size. Amazingly, we are progressing through the language quite quickly, and I'm quite proud of my self thus far. New language is a challenge, especially when one doesn't have the chance to hear it spoken (I haven't met any dead Greek people, at least to my recollection). The best part of it all, is I enjoy every day of class. There are times I feel slightly overwhelmed with the task, but experience has brought patience. Having spent my entire education in places I didn't really care about, it is wonderful to think I can be in classes that I absolutely love and will use in a career. This brings me to the next point. When one says "I am an Engineering major", there is no question as to what their job options are. Same with "History Teaching." To ask "what are you going to do with that degree", is redundant. But when one says, "My major is Ancient Greek with a minor in Classical Civilization," after they get over the deer in headlights look, they inevitably say "What do you plan to do with that?" I usually say there are options in a museum, teaching, or for a University library. The truth is, I haven't a clue what I want to do with it. I've begun saying "I plan to get a degree with it." When it comes down to the absolute truth, I'm taking a leap of faith, going where the Lord would have me go. What's the point of faith if you don't act on it? My fascination with the language and culture is inexplicable. I just thank my Heavenly Father for leading me to something He knew I would love, and allowing me to partake of the knowledge. I haven't a clue what is at the end of the education pathway, but I'm going to love every moment. *singing* "I'll be what you want me to be."

3 comments:

ww said...

Think of it this way: at least people know what Greek is! When you say you study linguistics, a lot of people say, "Now, what is that, exactly?"

P.S. I like your studious new picture.

Laverna said...

And the caption that says, "Life is incredibly amusing" right next to it. How appropriate! :D
Seriously though, when people ask you what you're planning on doing with the degree, you can simply ask them another question: "Do I HAVE to do anything with it?" I mean, there's a lot of places that don't really care what your degree is. They just like to see that you've got the stick-to-it-ness that is required to finish things.
Or you could answer, "My psychic reading said that I was going to meet a tall, dark and handsome Greek man on a pleasure cruise in the near future and I thought I should know how to speak to him in his own language and understand his history."
See what sorts of reactions you'll get with that! :D

Spencer said...

First off, points for spelling "minuscule" properly. :)

Secondly, tell people that you're going to travel back in time and act as a spy in ancient Greece.

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.