As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

19 May 2008

Fever Dream

I was lying on my bed taking a nap. My mom came in and I asked if she would get me a drink. My eyelids were incredibly heavy and I couldn't budge them. She returned with a drink, and I tasted it. I sat up a little and struggled to open my eyes. I was in a pretty good mood, it was just my body that was complaining. She left to call the doctor, and I could hear her in the next room talking about what she should do. All I heard was "So it isn't spinal menengitis." Then she asked me "Can you open your eyes?" The right eye lid opened a crack, and I could see below me. "Yes!" I replied. It seemed to me everything was fine and my mother was overreacting. I ventured slowly from my bed, trying to open my eyes further. My movements were slow and my eyes kept slamming shut. I made it to the office door. Again I could open the one eye, but then I realized that it had a fixed image of laying on my bed, like a picture was pasted over my eye. This is when I was no longer in a good mood, and I started to fear for my health. I tried to say "I can only see my room!" but my hearing was faded. It sounded to me as if I were speaking through a pillow. I spoke again, louder and slower, as if it were my mother who had the hearing problem not me. Then I woke up. I opened my eyes all the way, stood up and walked outside to find my mother. It was a joy to walk and to see! The dream felt real, but I am grateful it was not. I am grateful I can see, walk and hear. How lonely it would be if I could not hear. How much I would miss if I could not see. Message to the rest of you: Don't sleep in a roasting room, the heat will play with your head.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

I have dreams ALL the TIME that I can't open my eyes, probably once a week. But that doesn't say much, because I dream just as often that my teeth are falling out.

Fung-Shi-Fung said...

oh, sad! you actually got me starting to worry there! despite the title...

Laverna said...

Another recently learned lesson. Avoid driving for extended periods of time in a car whose hood has recently been repainted.
I didn't get all weird, but the fumes can be plenty strong, even through the paint is try to the touch.

Jim said...

Man, I hate those dreams. Those are right up there with the ones where you fall and fall and fall....

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.