As young adults, there is so much expected of us. There are days where you have to multi-task things that really shouldn't be done at the same time; Like filing your nails while driving. I'm a believer in enjoying everything you do and never doing anything simply because you think you "should." But this doesn't apply if you're a slacker. Being lazy is lame.

27 April 2009

Responding to an Invitation

It has been the habit of mine in recent years to organize social gatherings. Aka, parties. It is also a habit of mine to organize other things that involve other people than just myself, such as carpools. There has not been a party that I have organized that I have not had to squeeze an RSVP from. Honestly! How difficult is it to respond to an invitation. Someone has taken the time and money and effort to extend a request for your company, (aka, they like you as a person) how difficult is it to say "yes" or "no" or "I'll get back to you as soon as I know."

I am told this is a "Utah epidemic". Is it because we feel we can show up either way, whatever suits our personal taste for the evening? Is commitment all that difficult? Surely there is forgiveness if in an extreme circumstance you must cancel. If you say "maybe" or neglect to respond at all, it is like a slap in the face to the host saying "I'll consider your invitation if I don't have any thing better to do."

On a kind note: If you receive an invitation of any kind, respond please, out of consideration for the extendee.

and your head.

2 comments:

Jim said...

I value my head... consider all future invites RSVP'd as a yes until future notice.

Whitney Denney said...

I never realized how a host relies on RSVPs until I started planning parties. It's very frustrating deciding how much food/activities to purchase/plan when you've invited 20 people and you only know that four are coming for sure. What do you do? Spend your money buying stuff that won't be used or turn 16 people away when they show up because you don't have enough stuff for them?

Use of any content in any way from this page, is prohibited by the author.